To follow is a dialog I had with a customer on the topic of how much Fermented Cod liver Oil to take. The customer was attempting to define Fermented Cod Liver Oil and usefulness by choosing a couple molecular structures and defining their need in Iu's. This discussion is common so I though I would share my 'two cents' on the subject.
Repeating of these oils can be a symptom of liver/bile duct/gall bladder issues.
Most will find this will diminish, over time, as they take the product. Take
smaller amounts and take on a empty stomach or with very little food.
Most that take the capsules will take 3-6 caps per day. If you are taking the
liquid most common range is 1/2 to 1.5 tsp per day
I do not hold much stock in the vitamin D testing that is going on today
1. labs will vary on same blood sample upto 400% in readings depending on
lab/technician per study released in 2009
2. I can test the fclo and get readings ranging from 0 to 25,000 iu's vitamin D per ML (5 ml per teaspoon) depending on lab, technique and method...so whats in a number... plus what about all the other potential metabolite structures in the natural product that we do not understand?
3. This whole vitamin D (hormone D) study is in its infancy. I can assure you
that what ever we say we 'know' today 10-20 years from now it will be a
different set of rules we will claim we 'know'.
4. We need to better understand the Vitamin D pathway and what bodily , dietary and hygiene functions most effect Hormone D and how to treat these deficiencies (thyroid, kidney, liver health, trans fats damage to pathway, age, heredity, oils on the skin etc...), how about all the other metabolites known and how they affect the body? 24,25 dihydroxy D3 has inverse relationship with 1,25 dihydroxy D3 in the liver and how this plays into calcification discussion etc...
5. In the old days we did not try to figure out or deduce fclo to one or two
molecular structures. We got the spoon out and took it. When under stress we
went and took out the bigger spoon.
To reduce fclo into a couple molecular structures for defining purposes i think
does disservice or dumbs down the product. there are thousands of molecular
structures within the fclo... 99% of which we do not understand how they work in
Anyway... my two cents on the subject....
When discussing drugs and other supplements I understand why one would be most concerned with iu's of these ADDED bare ingredients. All other supplements/drugs treat A/D etc as ingredients. I think it
is important to understand added ingredients in products and drugs/supplements, but a real
food as such, just take the fclo. Take extra when under stress. I know some that take
3 tablespoons per day, others do well at 1/2 tsp. All people are different in
needs and function.